To get a roundup of toptecheasy.com’s biggest and most important stories delivered to your inbox every day at 3 p.m. PDT, subscribe here.
The toptecheasy.com Top 3
- Cloudy day: Google’s first cloud region in Africa launched in South Africa. annie and Tage write that this move “enables the localization of applications and services” and for companies to more quickly deploy capabilities, such as artificial intelligence, machine learning, and data analytics.
- duck duck goose: French food tech startup Gourmey has secured $48 million in new funding to prepare its slaughter-free, lab-grown foie gras. Romain has more.
- Show a little more, show a little less: Facebook is testing a new feature with Reels to let users say how much or how little they want to see of certain things in their feed, Aisha reports.
Startups and VC
Cup included, I enjoyed it PaulToday’s story about Whistleblower Software, an aptly named company that raised a $3 million seed round to continue developing its product to make it easier for employees to report wrongdoing in the company.
Enjoy five more:
Dear Sophie: Do you have any tips for negotiating visa and green card sponsorship?
I currently have an F-1 student visa. In December I will receive my bachelor’s degree in computer science and I will apply for OPT. I would like to stay and work in the US
Do you have any tips for negotiating visa and green card sponsorship? Is there anything else I should keep in mind when contacting potential employers?
— Shy student
Three more from the TC+ team:
toptecheasy.com+ is our membership program that helps founders and startup teams stay ahead of the curve. You can register here. Use code “DC” for a 15% discount on an annual subscription!
Big Tech Inc.
A cybersecurity incident disrupted operations at US hospital chain CommonSpirit Health, taking some of its information technology systems offline. carly reports. It is not yet known what kind of incident it was or what personal information was included.
Here are five more for you:
- How are we doing?: It’s been a year since Google’s $1 billion pledge to support Africa’s digital economy, and Tage and annie do a little performance review.
- M&A promotion: Spotify acquires Kinzen, a content moderation technology company, in a move that Sarah writes will cover platform security issues.
- We take your sales and increase you a: Walmart Doesn’t Let Amazon’s Prime Early Access Sale Get The Most Of It And Counters With Its Own Sales, Aisha reports.
- This is just the beginning: Just as Elon Musk announced he was moving forward with the Twitter deal, a judge gave the social media giant time to do some digging. Lots of twists indeed, if Taylor put it. Also, Alex weighs in on how expensive Elon’s Twitter purchase is.
- Fight, for your right, to participateAI: The White House proposes an AI Bill of Rights, stipulating that AI systems must be proven safe and effective through testing and stakeholder consultation, in addition to continuous monitoring of the systems in production. Kylea writes.