Do you want to know what’s next for the game industry? Join gaming executives to discuss emerging areas of the industry at GamesBeat Summit Next in October. Register today.
I’ll be honest with you: your girl here is not a diehard Pokémon fan. I have nothing against the series and it’s been a part of my personal and professional life since the 90’s so I couldn’t ignore it even if I wanted to. But the announcement of a new release always makes the little doe-eyed 3rd grader in me sit up and say, “Hey, it still looks nice!” And Scarlet and Violet are no exception. The Pokemon Company released new details about the new titles this week, including a look at the new region, Paldea.
I’m not going to say that the possibility of owning a Pokemon motorcycle will be enough to tempt me into playing the game. But it sure doesn’t hurt. I can say that I will at least look into it. I need to know what the deal is with those damn crystal hats I saw in the presentation. I also think I’m going to knit Grusha’s scarf because it’s quite stylish.
Speaking of something that has been a part of my life since the 90s, a new Tomb Raider script has surfaced online. If real, the game would follow the exploits of an elderly Lara Croft who teams up with a team of other archaeologists. I haven’t read the documents myself, but I got the impression that Lara, now a legend and with nothing left to prove, has taken under her wing some young history buffs. She could also finally find a romantic partner. I would be very happy if this turns out to be true. Lara Croft hasn’t really evolved as a character in 26 years. Not only does she deserve personal happiness and satisfaction, but she also deserves to take her place in the “former lone wolves turned bossy parental figures” alongside Kratos, Dante and the cast of Mortal Kombat.
In personal news, I’ll keep trying to hack it into Xenoblade Chronicles 3 this weekend. I’ve been playing Two Point Campus for part of the week (which I’ll get into next week), and I feel like I’m giving my palate a try. need to clean a little. This is also a relatively meager soft spot for major new releases, so I guess if anyone needs a moment to catch up – or catch their breath – this is it.
What to play this week?
- looking back
- Turbo Golf Racing
- The morgue assistant
- South of the circle
- Retreat to Enen
New on subscription services:
- Ghost Recon Wildlands (Xbox Game Pass)
- Shenzhen I/O (Xbox Game Pass)
- Calico (Xbox games with gold)
- Saint’s Row 2 (Xbox games with gold)
- Amazing Bomberman (Apple Arcade)
- Yakuza: Like a Dragon (PlayStation Plus)
- Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater 1+2 (PlayStation Plus)
- Little Nightmares (PlayStation Plus)
- Calico (Stadia Pro)
- Saints Row: The Third – Remastered (Stadia Pro)
- Monster Jam Steel Titans 2 (Stadia Pro)
- Shantae Half Genie Hero Ultimate Edition (Stadia Pro)
- Murder by Number (Stadia Pro)
- Welcome to Elk (Stadia Pro)
- StarCraft: Remastered (Prime Gaming)
- Zak McKracken and the Alien Mindbenders (Prime Gaming)
- Beasts of Maravilla Island (Prime Gaming)
- Recompile (Prime Gaming)
- ScourgeBringer (Prime Gaming)
- Family Mysteries: Toxic Promises (Prime Gaming)
- Control: Ultimate Edition (Prime Gaming)
- Myst (Prime Gaming)
- Garfield Kart (Prime Gaming)
- Steel Assault (Prime Gaming)
- Asphalt 9: Legends (GeForce Now)
- Lost Light (GeForce Now)
- Camp Canyonwood (GeForce Now)
- Creeper World 4 (GeForce Now)
- Hardspace: Shipbreaker (GeForce Now)
- Strategic Mind: Blitzkrieg (GeForce Now)
- Strategic Mind: The Pacific (GeForce Now)
- Strategic Mind: Ghost of Communism (GeForce Now)
- Strategic Spirit: Fight for Freedom (GeForce Now)
- Talisman: Digital Edition (GeForce Now)
- Video Horror Society (GeForce Now)
The GamesBeat credo when talking about the game industry, is ‘where passion and business meet’. What does this mean? We want to tell you how important news is to you — not just as a decision maker in a game studio, but also as a game fan. Whether you’re reading our articles, listening to our podcasts, or watching our videos, GamesBeat helps you learn and have fun with the industry. Learn more about membership.